BCChickens1

BCChickens1
Photo credit: Tracy Halladay

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Prolapse #2

Red is suffering from a prolapsed vent again.   I went through the same steps that I talked about in my previous post.  Some days she's better some days worse.  I've bathed her twice now.  The second time she relaxed a lot more.  She was having a hard time pushing out her droppings, but she wasn't plugged.  We got past that hurdle and she seems a bit better.  I am concerned because she was on the nest yesterday and actually laid another egg.  I think she needs time to heal.  I read recently about seperating her from food for a day to break the egg laying...Also, that prolapse can be due to low calcium levels.  I have been more dilligent about filling their oyster shell dish and hopefully that will help.  I found a couple links to articles that may be helpful to others who may have this issue with their hens:

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/livestock/poultry/prolapse.html

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/04/prolapsed-vent-cloaca-and-laying.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment