BCChickens1

BCChickens1
Photo credit: Tracy Halladay

Friday, March 1, 2013

Miniature Eggs

In the 5 or 6 years I have had chickens, I have only received two of these eggs so far.  As I read about miniatrue eggs being laid by standard sized hens, I found it is actually pretty common.  Usually laid by hens who are just starting to lay, mine have been laid by hens who are no longer considered "pullets" (over 1 year old).  Maybe this happened because they are coming out of molt and some haven't laid for a long time.

Miniature egg

Comparing size to eggs laid by other hens recently
One of these things is not like the others...

Last year when I got one of these I was very curious what was inside.  I cracked it open and instead of being a small yolk and egg white, it was egg white only.  I have read that people call these miniature eggs "fart eggs", "fairy eggs", or "wind eggs".

1 comment:

  1. I have one chicken lays "fart eggs" about every two months......I'm loving that term by the way!

    ReplyDelete