BCChickens1

BCChickens1
Photo credit: Tracy Halladay

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Farewell to Henrietta


 
Last Monday morning, I found Henrietta had passed away.  Her symptoms started as lack of balance. She walked like she was drunk.  She still had plenty of energy and the rest of per personality was normal.  I saw no other symptoms.  No runny nose, sneezing or irregular droopings.  The last week she began being listless and her comb became quite dark.  I separated her from the other girls and gave her food and water with antibiotic in it but she passed within two days.

Hen was a white leghorn.  She was flighty and didn't like to be held but would still eat from my hand.  She was a prolific layer as other leghorns are.  We had her for many years.  Because of the personality, I am not sure I would get another leghorn.  There are others I would like to have.


Henrietta would often jump up on the railing to our back stairs when she would hear us in the kitchen hoping to see what was going on inside. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment