BCChickens1

BCChickens1
Photo credit: Tracy Halladay

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ordinances in Cities Nearby

I post the following link because you may have seen it in the news. 
Riverdale rejects chicken ordinance - ksl.com

One thing to keep in mind, when a city rejects an ordinance defining chickens as being allowed in residential areas some people will still have them...either out of ignorance, or because the existing code does not specifically prohibit them or they go underground and if there are no complaints from neighbors and the city does nothing about it.  I don't advocate doing what is prohibited by your city.  In Brigham City, the current code specified "Domesticated Fowl" under the definition of a pet.  When I first got my chickens I looked at the code and made my decisions so as to be in alignment with how our ordinances were written.

Here is a matrix of Utah communities ordinances to show how cities are stacking up in regard to urban chickens:


Utah Communities Backyard Chicken Ordinances
CityAllowedQtyRoosters?Notes
LaytonYes6NoQuantity depends on lot size
MoabYes12No
OgdenNo
ProvoYes6NoQuantity depends on lot size
RiverdaleNo
RoyNo
Salt Lake CityYes15NoNo lot size restriction
Salt Lake CountyYes8-10NoDepends on residential zoning area.  50 allowed in A-1 agricultural areas
TremontonYesTremonton was rewriting code last year to allow chickens in all residential neighborhoods.  I have not seen the written code yet.
Woods CrossYes8NoQuantity depends on lot size

Just added:
Spanish Fork    Yes           6           No                Quantity depends on lot size


If you would like to download the specific codes that I have please click here.  You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the downloaded document.

If you have specific codes for other utah communities, I would love to have a copy.  Please contact me and I will add them to the list.

Photo Credit: Tracy Halladay

5 comments:

  1. Hi, not all unincorporated Salt Lake County allows 50 chickens. It's only the A-1, (agricultural zone) that does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to find the full Salt Lake County Ordinance and changed the matrix above. I also included it in the PDF document of codes that is available above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link for the Spanish Fork code: http://www.spanishfork.org/newsevents/events/view.php?id=227

    They just re-did the code and it looks pretty favorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Menacing Tourist! It looks like a nice ordinance.

    ReplyDelete